In a post-Snowden world, the protection of classified government information is more important than ever. Companies that contract with the U.S. government and have access to classified information must follow government-mandated protocols and ensure personnel are properly trained to handle classified documents. As part of the mandate, contract companies must also employ a facility security officer (FSO). Learn more about the role of the FSO and how they help protect national security information.
“Smash and grab” robberies targeting a wide variety of businesses and organizations and items are becoming almost epidemic. There is one basic security measure that could be put in place and immediately stop the majority of these attacks: bollards and barriers.
The Wall Street Journal recently ran an article, “Stop, Thief!” in a special section for small businesses.
I read this short article about what small businesses should do when an employee commits a theft and is caught, and then I re-read it again because I wasn’t sure I read any good advice.
By Jeffrey Hawkins
The issue of armed private security personnel and their level of training and oversight has long been an issue discussed within the physical security industry. On Dec. 10 the issue sparked mainstream attention when CNN released its report: Armed guards lack training and oversight -- with deadly consequences. This year-long investigation examined licensing and training standards of armed guards in the United States.
By Jeffrey Hawkins
We witnessed another rapidly escalating violent confrontation in one of our schools this week when a high school student attacked a security officer, school staff, and fellow students with two knives, leaving 21 people injured, two critically.
Fortunately, as of this writing, no one has died. However, the injuries and trauma experienced by those involved will impact them, and their loved ones for the rest of their lives.
Training & More
American Military University supports on-going training for security personnel as a critical part of continued advancement.
Check our training opportunities page frequently for new conferences, on-site training across the country, and online webinars and podcasts.
About Private Security & Education
- Arming Hospital Security Officers Key to Preventing Violence, Says IAHSS Keynote Speaker May 14, 2012
- How Old is Too Old to be a Security Officer? August 8, 2012
- Armed Security: Police or Private Security Officers? February 11, 2013
- Three Security Measures That May Have Minimized or Prevented the Aurora, CO Shooting July 23, 2012
- The Role of Airport Police and Security July 31, 2013
- Career Highlight: What is a Facility Security Officer (FSO)? March 27, 2015
- Back to Security Basics: Why Every Business Needs Bollards and Barriers January 30, 2015
- Bad Advice on Employee Theft Cases for Small Businesses January 26, 2015
- Arming Private Security Officers: Failures and Responsibilities December 16, 2014
- Mixed Messages During A Violent School Incident April 11, 2014
- Paul Michaels, CPP, PSP, PCI: Bollards and barriers are solid additions to any p...
- Ronald Reed: As you pointed out one aspect that the article did...
- Adam Bailey: This happen in my Town, The suspect was at a Check...
- George Babnick, JD: In many jurisdictions public police officers are, ...
- Angel Rodriguez: In my humble opinion, we're technically comparing...